Monday 4 December 2017

The Flower Challenge #15 - Anything But A Card

As it's now December, it's time for our new challenge over at The Flower Challenge and this month we want to see anything but a card.
I decided to make a tag for this challenge, as this year I've purchased some very simple Christmas wrapping paper, but plan to bling it up with handmade tags.
I didn't have a tag die the size I wanted, but rummaging through my stash I found a tag stamp from the Parpermania Jolly Santa range, which had alternative messages to slot into it. The only problem was that the main tag stamp had a gingerbread man on it. Never fear, with a sharp pair of scissors he was carefully removed and can be slotted back in place if needed.
I stamped the tag in black archival ink and cut it out, then ran a black pen round the white cut edge to give a more finished look. I stamped a sentiment from the Papermania Traditional Sentiments set on the tag rather than use one of the original sentiments.
I coloured some white card with blended distress inks and over stamped them to create red and green card to die cut. I used a green distress marker that matched one of the inks I'd used, to colour in the border on the tag. I then used Sue Wilson's Classic Poinsettia to cut the green leaves and her Filigree Poinsettia to cut the red leaves. I shaped them slightly with my fingers and layered them up to form the poinsettia and glued in place. 
I found a couple of small flourish dies in my stash (sorry, no idea who made them) and cut them out of soft matt gold mirri card and snipped them down and tucked them behind the poinsettia. I added a flat back cream pearl cluster to the centre of the flower, but wasn't happy with its colour and so I dabbed some mercury glass stickles onto it with my finger to give it more of a soft golden tone. Note to self, do this and let it dry before you add it to the flower, much easier. It doesn't show in the photo but I also dabbed some Christmas red stickles onto the poinsettia with my finger to add a little sparkle. I will eventually fish out my cropodile to punch the hole in the tag and thread some ribbon through it finish.
I'm looking forward to seeing your floral makes this month. Just remember that the focal point of your project has to be a flower(s) and if you can add our cue card to your post we'll love you forever! My teamies and I will be back with a reminder halfway through the month. Happy Crafting x
Don't forget that I'm running a blog candy Christmas stamp giveaway for my followers. The post is pinned to the top of my blog or you can click here to go directly to the post. Entries close at midnight on 8th December UK time.

25 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous tag, I love the poinsettia die. What a brilliant idea to make a tag from the stamp, I might pinch your idea as I've got this stamp too, but not a big tag stamp or die, great inspiration Cara, Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cara,
    watch out the crafting police could have you for maiming that stamp. LOL>
    No seriously your tag is brilliantly created and such a very super poinsettia.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really lovely tag Cara, nice little border and a really lovely poinsettia with the lovely flourishes.
    I wouldn't have had the nerve to cut round the snowman, probably made a real mess but a great idea,

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Cara that stamp will be much more useful now. Great tag idea, love it xXx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love your tag and I am glad to see I am not the only person who will cut a stamp in the name of art lol. What a stunning die cut that flower is. Perfection

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful tag. Love your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cara, a great gift tag love the lacy poinsettia and the bling in the centre, a great way to use your stamp and looks a decent size too... have a wonderful week... Megan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really pretty tag! Clever too, thinking outside the square and repurposing your stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous card, Cara, I LOVE the poinsettia. The creative cutting of the stamp worked out well! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful. I love that poinsettia. [Bunny]

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely poinsettia and what a cute tag design.

    Hugs Diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. The delicate poinsettias look beautiful, Cara!!! Love the golden flourish you added!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A gorgeous tag - far too nice to actually use on a present!. That poinsettia die is to die for - pardon the pun!

    Sharon
    x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Cara
    Terrific tag. I never really think to make them......probably because the tag would look better than the present lol!
    Best wishes.
    Ang x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful tag Cara, I love it, I think it deserves a card, far too gorgeous for a gift! I love that you cut apart the stamp - brave and totally worth it. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a good idea to bling up the wrappings with a tag and even better to snip away at the stamp to make this gorgeous tag. x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your stamp surgery makes me smile Cara because it took me ages to pluck up the courage to take scissors to my stamps! You have to be brave don't you? Anyway, the results here are fabulous and makes your tag so versatile. I love the border on the tag and that filigree poinsettia is stunning.
    Hugs
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, so beautiful! I love the contrast of the CAS base on this tag, with the complex and intricate layers on the poinsettia! How glorious with the bright red petals and the pearl centre! The gold sprigs add a touch of elegance, and the font is just wonderful! Great work jerry-rigging the stamp! Love this! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Many thanks for your last comment Cara, it really made me smile. Your tags is beautiful and I love the lacy Poinsettia. Crafty hugs, Sandra x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful tag :) Love the gorgeous poinsettia
    Hugs Kaz xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great tag here Cara and just love your beautiful lacey Poinsettia's too ;) hugs Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your tag is absolutely gorgeous Cara. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh wow, what a beautiful tag Cara, that poinsettia is absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Haha! Stamp surgery!! I LOVE the end result. That poinsettia is so striking. Perfect tag!xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just beautiful inking and blending Cara and I love your poinsettia die Karen x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Please ignore any requests to prove you're not a robot and just press publish. Cara x