Sunday 9 July 2017

Butterfly Challenge plus cobweb and tiny spider phobics avoid last pic!

Over at the Butterfly Challenge they want to see keys and/or vermillion. Immediately, I knew what I wanted to do. Apologies, for the rubbish photo, it looks so much better in reality due to all the sparkle and shimmer.
A while ago hubby cut me out some mdf shapes and so I used a heart one for the base of my project. I put some red and topaz starlights paint side by side on my craft mat and dabbed them down the sheet with a piece of cut n dry foam so that I blended the colours side by side on the foam. I then dabbed the foam round the edge of the heart, keeping the topaz side to the edge, so that I ended up with red starlights edged in topaz on the heart. I then filled in the centre with cut n dry foam dipped in the red starlights. Once dry I stamped the sentiment from visible image in the centre in black versafine, once dry I carefully over painted it with black paint to fill in where it hadn't quite stamped due to the texture and to make it pop a little more. 
After leaving it to dry, I stenciled some imagination crafts chartreuse sparkle medium through their trailing vines stencil round the edges. There is more definition to the stencilling that shows on the photo.
To create the butterflies, I played around with several different shades of red card and different glittery embossing powders before settling on this deep pink card. I stamped the butterfly from the Sheena Douglass True Clours stamp set (this was a freebie when Crafters Companion joined Hochanda) in versamark and heat embossed with black twinkle embossing powder. I fussy cut two of the butterflies and trimmed down the wings of one to make it smaller. 
To make the bodies, I went a bit steampunk and cut the two keys from the All Occasions key die set. I layered them up in black card a couple of times to increase their rigidity. I then added some white gold Chameleon Wax (which has a fabulous orange smell) to make them look more like metal. I backed the head of the keys with the deep pink card. I cut the heads off the butterflies and stick them behind the keys so the antenna showed.
I then shaped the wings of the butterflies with my fingers and added them to the heart. A few more photos to hopefully show a bit more detail.


Right, cobweb and spider phobics look away now, this poor spider had set up camp outside my back door and hadn't counted on a glittery crafter living here...

Keep looking away if scared, 


Hide behind the sofa now....


A very glittery web (with my rhubarb lurking in the background!).




18 comments:

  1. What a fabulous effect with those paints. I find them incredibly hard to photo and they really do look their best in real life. Love the mixing of the colours, your attention to detail and what a fun idea to use the keys as the centres of the butterflies. (pity heads had to be cut off!! LOL x). Amazing project and well done on DH to cut you out the shapes x

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW that is a gorgeous mixed media work, love all the wonderful details.
    That cobweb looks interesting, I am scared, but I am ok looking at the picture ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cara, what a fabulous Mixed Media piece of work. I love the colours and how you've made the butterflies bodies with the keys, very inspiring.
    What a brilliant spider's web, all shimmery and the little guy in the middle of it, have a good day, Late x

    ReplyDelete
  4. such a lovely creation, really special butterflies, I love them.
    Thank you for playing with us at Butterfly Challenge, Tina Z., GD

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is absolutely gorgeous and how you have combined the keys with the butterflies is fantastic. Love it. Thankyouso much for fluttering into the butterfly garden. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous creation and great choice of colours, love the glitter and you placement of the keys.
    What a huge web.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful creation, Cara. What a clever way to use the keys as the butterflies bodies, very clever. Now, I'm not a fan a spiders, rather the opposite, but I had to scroll past the photo to get to the comments button! However, I did linger by the photo - I love the sparkle of the web, isn't nature wonderful! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Cara
    Sooo pretty. You can really see the sparkle.
    That's some impressive rhubarb.
    Ang x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the pretty heart and butterflies, Cara!
    The spider in his glittery web~NOT SO MUCH! But, you did warn me not to look! :-o

    ReplyDelete
  10. A gorgeous project Cara, love the colours and pretty butterflies plus the wonderful sentiment :)
    Hugs, Kaz xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great project.

    I actually love the spider in the web. I think it's so intricate and........well, kinda cool looking.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Cara, I don't mind spiders as I believe they eat up the other insects that I might like even less Lol! Gorgeous paint effect on the heart and love those butterflies too. Happy crafty week, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a really beautiful project Cara, as for the thing I just pushed past the photo and didn't look at all! I have a severe fear and terror of the things, big time Karen xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a lovely project Cara, well done, Not many spiders get there place decorated for them lol. Great picture

    Lilian

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG I totally dislike Spiders, but his new glittery web is amazing! Love the project, so pretty, I love the rich colours and the butterflies with the key 'bodies' are awesome and very clever. Can you teach me to be this creative please? Cx

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful project this is Cara. I love the background colours and a clever idea using the keys as the butterfly bodies. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow what a beautiful project! Love the gold and the keys were a great idea!
    Webs are amazing aren't they ... Pity that spiders give me the heebiegeebies! Though they're definitely not as bad as slugs, yeuuuuch!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your project and even your spider pic!

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Please ignore any requests to prove you're not a robot and just press publish. Cara x