Saturday 14 May 2016

I had another one of my "bright" ideas!



The current challenge over at AAA challenges is inlaid die cutting.
As is the challenge over at Happy Little Stampers
Hopefully my card counts as clean and simple enough for the challenges, but if not I still had fun. I had a rummage through my dies to find a suitable one and decided upon Sue Wilson's floral striplet. I figured I could inlay the leaves in green. I then realised that the leaves were all in two sections, never mind, I thought I can still do that. I cut out the striplet and the backing plate and stuck them together to inlay the pieces on. Halfway through I realised that I should have cut the backing plate in blue as it wasn't showing up white on white. Never one to admit defeat I decided to inlay all the background, including the teeny weeny tiny bits in between the petals on some of the flowers. After a lot of swearing I managed it (after hunting on the floor and finding one missing bit to Hubby's amusement). I die cut Sue Wilson's camellias and layered them up on the flowers and added a pearl to each to finish. Originally I was going to just mount it on a DL card, but added a couple of layer to make it pop more.
Top tips if you decide to do anything as mad as me.
1. I popped all the pieces out of the die onto my Ken Oliver best craft mat ever as it has a non slip surface and holds all the pieces in the right order.
2. My Pinflair pick up tool was essential to enable me to pick up the tiny pieces and place them down correctly.
3. A quickie glue pen is fab to stick down the tiny pieces.
4. Shut the window before starting....

18 comments:

  1. My goodness Cara that took some patience but you've ended up making an absolutely beautiful card. The colours are so pretty. Thanks for the handy tips. Going to research that craft mat. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You post really had me grinning, as I have traveled down that very same road.....

    Your card is fabulous! and I love the layered background.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not one to attempt with a cat "helping". Absolutely beautiful, I'm amazed by your patience
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perseverance wins the day. This is gorgeous with lovely colours. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cara, I'm still laughing about making sure the windows are closed, yes I can just image the scene. Anyhow, a gorgeous card will out, and I love it, such pretty pastel shades, well done for not giving up on it, Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cara a beautiful card love the colours. Great tips at the end of your blog.

    Runner beans are coming up xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's fab Cara! I admire your patience at doing something like that - I would never have enough!!

    Susan xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahahaha that's so funny Cara, love point 4!
    Ah well, your trials were worth it, this is a beautiful card :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Cara - you really are a glutton for punishment! But what a fabulous result!

    Once I stopped laughing at your post, and admiring the fabby card too, I remembered that Happy Little Stampers have a brand new challenge - anything goes with dies. You might want to link up over there too :)

    Hugs

    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Cara, a gorgeous card, you must have the patience of a saint to have replaced all those tiny pieces... I too learnt the hard way about crafting next to an open window.... have a fabulous weekend... Megan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Cara, this may be a clean and simple card in appearance, but that must have taken forever to create!! All those little pieces, yipes! Totally worth it, it freaking stunning! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Cara....What a pretty card....lovely dies....Joolsx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your card is gorgeous Cara! Love the colours and totally get what you mean about your hubbys 'amusement'... mine has laughed at me hunting around on the floor too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well that's one tricky die you chose to inlay! Gorgeous colours and well worth all the effort. Thanks for playing at AAA Cards.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cara the effect on this card is beautiful but you must have the patience of a saint?
    That being said you have created such a fab card, love your colour combo.

    Hugs Erika. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, my, my! You know I love the jigsaw-puzzle-type-inlaying, but you have outdone me by ten and three-quarter miles, Cara! This is an out of this world, over the top, crazy gorgeous inlaid card!! You should get a special prize for this one!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow thats a lot of work, beautiful card thanks for joining us at AAA Cards!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful card. Thank you for playing along with the HLS CAS challenge xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Please ignore any requests to prove you're not a robot and just press publish. Cara x